The event is held on the Sunday of the Victorian Labour Day Long Weekend in March each year. The Upper Kiewa Valley Lions Club will be conducting their 40th running of the event on Sunday 11th March 2018 (Victorian Labour Day Long Weekend).
- When: Sunday 11th March 2018.
- Start Time: From 6:45 am to 8:30 am.
- Registration: Opens at 6 am. All participants must register prior to starting. Note: No entries after 8:30 am.
- Entry Fees: Adults – $25.00, Juniors (under 16 years) – $10.00 & Family – $60.00.
How to pay — Send a cheque with your entry form to the below address or make an electronic funds payment to the UKV Lions Club Activities Account, BSB: 633-108, Account#: 133080036. Please reference it with your name and ‘conquest’.
- Entry Forms: Available from the Tawonga South Newsagency and Post Office or email Nick Brown <firstname.lastname@example.org> or mobile: 0417 014 431 and mail it to: UKV Lions Club PO Box 61, Mount Beauty Vic 3699.
- Start/Finish Location: At the Mountain Creek Picnic Area
- How to get there from Mount Beauty: Take Damms Road north to the intersection with Mountain Creek Road (5 km), turn right and follow Mountain Creek Road to the picnic area (14 km).
- Commemorative Medallion: All finishers receive a Commemorative Medallion, fruit and water.
What is it?
It’s an unique experience and gives participants the opportunity to safely walk up and down Victoria’s highest mountain – Mt Bogong (1,986m asl). The total distance is approximately 20 km with 1,300m of vertical climb. It’s not a foot race and now official times are kept. For those who wish to test themselves, by time, they need to start by 6:45 am. For the Record — the fastest time ever recorded is by local Parks Vic employee Andrew Kromar with a time of 1 hour and 51 minutes.
Safety & Checkpoints — There are manned checkpoints around the course as follows: Start Picnic Area, Start of Staircase Spur, Bivouac Hut (cut-off time 11 am); the Summit (cut-off time 1 pm); top of Eskdale Spur; Camp Gap 9bottom of Eskdale Spur) and the Finish Picnic Area.
Clothing to Wear & Take — It could be cold on top so take a waterproof jacket, long pants and a warm polar fleece type top, hat (beanie & Sun), sunglasses, sunscreen, well worn-in shoes (track shoes are fine) or boots and quality socks.
Equipment to Take — Day Pack, 2 litres of water at least, food supplies, basic personal 1st Aid, mobile phone, camera and watch.
Fitness Level — This is a strenuous activity suitable for those with a healthy fitness level. Young children must be a accompanied by and adult for the duration of the event. It is not and activity for the elderly. It is recommended that all participants have adequate insurance cover.
Supporters — The organising body is the Upper Kiewa Valley (UKV) Lions Club with support from the Murray Valley Bushwalkers, Lake Hume Amateur Radio Group and Parks Victoria.