S 36 44.0
E 147 10.0
Elevation 1,100 AMSL
The airfield is approximately one kilometre north of Mount Beauty – immediately north of the regulating pondage.
- CTAF frequency 126.0′
- Area 125.20 Melbourne Centre (confirm in ERSA)
- All radio equipped aircraft must communicate with other aircraft on 126.0
- All other users should use an air band radio to monitor aircraft movements on 126.0.
- GA visitors must be vigilant for non radio equipped aircraft.
- Runway Direction 14/32
- Single runway, 300m bitumen sealed from the Rwy32 landing threshold with the remainder being unsealed gravel.
- Gravel/bitumen strip is approximately 7 meters wide and the total width (including grass area) is approximately 22 meters.
- RWY 32 has slight downslope and RWY 14 a slight upslope.
- Runway Useable length (approximate) for:
- RWY 14 is 900m
- Runway 32 is 680m (due RWY 32 threshold permanently displaced by 220m)
There is all weather general aviation parking with cable tie downs on the south western side of the airstrip and to the north of the terminal building.
- Public toilet.
- Shelter (and tea/coffee for visiting pilots) available at terminal building.
- No fuel available at YMBT.
- Nearest fuel is Albury (approx 40NM NNW) or Wangaratta (approx 40NM WNW). Refer ERSA.
- Right hand circuits when operating on Runway 32
- Takeoff from Runway 14 is not recommended for powered aircraft due to steep terrain
- Straight in approaches are not recommended – overfly the airfield to check for aircraft/gliding activity.
- Glider winch cable rises up to 2000’ AGL – if gliding in progress, establish contact with Glider Base on 126.0 or overfly at 2000’AGL
- Gliding winch cable may be lying on grass to eastern side of airstrip.
- Grass surrounds of the strip may become soft after rain.
Avoid overflying the township – except when conditions require approaching to land on Runway 32.
- The airport is managed and maintained by a voluntary Airport Management Association using fees collected from airport users and lessees.
- To assist the management Association in maintaining the Airfield, users are asked to pay a landing fee of $10 per landing.
- A collection box for the fees is located in front of the terminal building.
Check current wind/rain conditions at http://www.weather.alpineradio.com.au/Graphical.html
The prevailing wind in the Mt Beauty area is generally from the northwest. In strong northerly or westerly winds expect turbulence on approach. In strong easterly winds expect possible rotor activity.
Try these Mt Beauty Airport Management Committee members for local weather and airstrip condition information:
- Tony Edwards – 0420 372 084
- John Hillard – 0417 084 400
- Mark Bland – 0417 565 514
- General aviation (fixed wing and helicopter)
- Seasonal Firebombing
- Air Ambulance
- Gliders (winch and air-tow launching) – https://www.mtbeauty.com/gliding/
- Radio Controlled model flying
- Ultralights & microlights
- Hang gliders & paragliders
- Mt Beauty Taxis – (03) 5754 4735
- Hire Cars (Falls Creek Coaches) – (03) 5754 4024
- Mt Beauty Tourist Information Centre – (03) 5755 0596 https://www.mtbeauty.com/